Project at a Glance
Customer: Dilovasi Organized Industrial Zone (OIZ) Directorate
Project Value: €12M.
Status: Construction completed in 2010, with 27-year operation period until 2037.
Segment: Wastewater Treatment
Main Benefit: Improved wastewater collection and treatment.
Dilovasi is a district within Kocaeli Province, which is considered the industrial capital of Turkey. Home to roughly 1.8 million inhabitants, the province is located in northwestern Turkey, bordering the Istanbul Province and the Marmara Sea to the west and the Black Sea to the north. The client selected TAHAL to implement a build-operate-transfer (BOT) project for a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP), with an operating period of 27 years until 2037. The plant was required to treat both industrial wastewater from the Dilovası OIZ and domestic wastewater from the Dilovası and Tavşancıl municipalities (with a total population of over 53,000).
The project included detailed design and construction of a WWTP with an initial plant capacity of 10,500 m3/day, later to be increased to roughly 21,000 m3/day. The plant was designed to provide physical, chemical and biological treatment processes, as well as sludge dewatering and sludge dring (above the 90%). The project also included the design and construction of collector pipelines, with a total length of some 35 km, one main pumping station and 9 smaller pumping stations.
TAHAL provided the following services over the course of the project:
- Design, supply and installation of all required equipment
- Civil works, electrical works and automation works
- Purchasing and installation of a supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system.
- Plant testing and trial operation.
- Improved wastewater collection, conveyance and treatment
- Enhanced environmental protection
- Minimized energy and operating costs
- Cost-effective BOT project model